add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Issues with Overclocking

Aeyix
  • 4 months ago

So I'm new to overclocking but I'm not quite sure what is going wrong. I have an MSI MPG Gaming Edge Z390M Micro ATX board, i7-9700k, Corsair RMx 650, plenty of case air flow, and a Noctua NH-U12A cooler.

Currently my system will remain at 4.6GHz (the default all core turbo boost) no issue under Cinebench R20 and gaming. Under Prime 95, it will cycle between 4.4 and 4.6GHz accross the cores under small fft's. At that point temps are fluctuating between 75 and 80. All other tests including the blend Prime 95 test when the cores run consistently at 4.6, I'm only seeing temps around 55-60. So the way I see it, I have plenty of thermal headroom.

My first concern is when I run Cinebench R20 in single core mode. I'm not seeing any single core reach above 4.6GHz though and to my understanding single core turbo boost on the 9700k is 4.9GHz.

So next I've tried my hand at overclocking. I've tried setting my own turbo values. I've tried all core overclocking. I've tried fixed and dynamic with speed step on and off. I've disabled c-states. I've adjusted the CPU Overtemp Protection. I've tried with both XMP disabled and enabled including the "MSI XMP Boost" on and off (the difference there is the bus speed with MSI XMP Boost when I enable XMP is it changes from 100.00 to 100.80 MHz). I've tried voltage auto, offset, adaptive, adaptive with setting to 1.36 volts, and override mode. I've tried with various ring speeds, various AVX offsets, etc. And in no test can I get the CPU to run at the speed I set it for.

I don't know if this is because of my BIOS firmware. I'm on the lastest v16. It came with v15 and I flashed it before even installing windows. I don't know if that was my mistake. I don't know if it is a motherboard issue or power delivery (it does have an additional 4 pin for cpu power but to my understanding I shouldn't need that). I've seen the CPU top out around 190W according to HWMonitor under Small FFTs not overclocked.

My XMP RAM works just fine, only tweaking I've done of that is changing the Command Rate from 2 to 1. My GPU overclocks just fine. It's just my CPU is a jerk it seems. So I'm not getting full turbo boosts even with plenty of thermal headroom under less than 8 core uses. And when I set the multipler to 50 (with all the various tweaks mentioned above) my CPU still downclocks to 4.7GHz in Cinebench R20 and actually gets worse in Prime 95 going to 4.2-4.5GHz. I don't understand what's going on. Temps are 60 or less during all of this. I'm annoyed because I'm not even getting default boosts let alone able to even overclock. Did I lose the silicon lottery that bad or is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm confused because my friend with a 9900K on a Gigabyte Auros board set his multiplier to 50 and was done. I don't have stability issues it seems, it just won't maintain the clocks I want. When I boot Windows, it does show the system reaching 5GHz.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if something of mine is defective or I'm just really unlucky.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Watch this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjlYIq-hK98 The bios's are essentially the same with the msi z390's. I Watched many months ago tweaking my ace board. As well as this one, not as robust but gives essentials. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RegtSFGiqxM

If you have software within windows working to overclock it may affect your uefi settings. Turn the software off and focus on the uefi, if that's the case. I had my software pushing clocks and my temps were way high in comparison to using the kefir settings. Good luck.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, turns out maxing out my turbo boost long and short power max, current max, and long power duration seemed to have cured my woes. Now I'm just actually trying to dial in the voltage. I've had everything stable at 5GHz as low as 1.31 volts except pesky Prime95. One worker always seems to fail eventually. Uhg.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Good volts for a 5ghz. I enjoyed overclocking the he'll out of my board and pushing it to its limits. 5.3ghz was the highest I could get the i5 stable. 4133c17 was the highest I could get on some 3200c14 ram, stable. Using prime95 avx on. Many hours and many different clocks. For longevity I set it to modest 4.7ghz 1.27core 1.19SA 1.14IO. Xmp-off it sits at 34-37C idle. Set the ram to a modest clock 3600c14-14-14-38. tREFI-40000, rest of the subtimings on auto. Runs very stable and cool. Intel turbo boost is disabled, through my experiments I found that this setting disabled was more stable, in prime, in my situation. The CPU ratio and RING ratio need to be different and the ring needs to be set to no more than 5 under the CPU ratio, this could be why you're seeing fluctuations and discrepencies, idk. I set the ring 3-4 lower then the CPU. My avx is on auto, as I'm done experimenting and I'll most like never put my system under that kind of load, if by chance I see problems running Avx related software I will set it accordingly. DRAM timing mode- link. CPU Load Line Calibration, LLC, -mode 3. 4096W long duration- 4096 short duration. Intel c-state-off. I think you got it. Good luck. Have fun.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

bios version e7b12ims.150 on a z390 ace. CPU temp 34c vcore 1.267. As of 10/26 CPU ratio mode to "fixed" "CPU PLL OC Voltage" to 1.2. These settings might help as well. Have fun

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube