add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC turning itself off during gaming?

Adamanteus
  • 4 months ago

Hello, My PC has a problem where it will turn itself off during gaming. Specifically during higher end games at max settings (Monster hunter world, mostly, and Divinity 2 at max settings) When I checked my cpu usage during monster hunter, it was at around 90%. I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to pc's so i'm not sure if that is normal or unusual. My suspicion is that its overheating. I'm only using the stock cpu cooler, and case fans, though I'm not sure if maybe i'm just pushing the cpu past its limits?

Essentially my question is should I maybe invest more into cooling my pc? If so would anyone have any recommendations?

build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wNgbXv

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Well what are your CPU temps reading at? Intel stock coolers are not the greatest and you can easily upgrade to a better air cooler for cheap:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm not sure actually sorry, the display only shows usage for me. I think i'll try getting a better cooler though!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh ok that's no problem. A free, legitimate hardware monitor app called CPUID HWMonitor is easily downloadable. It monitors all of your hardware temps, percentages, voltages and RPMs of every component in your system. On your CPU, it'll measure these parameters across all cores; it really is one-stop "shopping" for all of your monitoring needs. And it's free :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

oh nice, i'll look into that cpuid program, thanks for the tip!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

That's a 4 year old build you have there , maybe it's time to upgrade some of your hardware. Such as, Mobo, CPU, Ram, CPU cooler, cost $400-$500, then a year later upgrade GPU and PSU, cost $500. In addition, a new case always is desirable.

However, if money is an issue, I'd agree with other comment to just upgrade CPU cooler. Replace CPU thermal paste. Maybe, replace case fans with higher performance ones that can be adjusted to ramp up when needed.

Might want to back you GPU settings down a little.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm is 4 years considered "old" at this point? thank you for the advice anyway, i'll for sure look into better cooling.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately 4 years is getting dated in the PC industry with 5 years being the average before many gamers make their upgrades. The computer and electronics industry always moves fast. On the other hand, your hardware still meets the minimum specs for Monster Hunter World, and EXCEEDS the recommended spec for Divinity 2. If these two titles are the main games that you play then you should still be able to squeeze more time from your current components. That said, eventually you will want to give some thought towards future upgrades. A better CPU cooler and adding as many fans as your case will accommodate will help keep your system breathing in cooler ambient air. One last tidbit: AMD Ryzen CPUs include a stock cooler which is waaaay better than Intel stock coolers (and Ryzen is much better price to performance).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

huh, I guess thats just the way the wind blows haha, thanks for the advice! is there a ryzen counterpart to my i5?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen 5 2600 (or a 2600x if you wish to overclock). I just built a Ryzen system for a friend (he does play Monster Hunter too). This is what I built for him 2 months ago:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Transit_75/saved/#view=tXnL23

The GTX 970 was carried over from his last PC, he'll be upgrading from that soon enough.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the only upgrades he needs is SSD and a better PSU.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you cleaned your 4 year old PC?

Over time your PC will attract and build up dust on it's components, dust being a thermal insulator causes your system to run hotter... perhaps just give your PC a good clean with a horse hair brush and redo your thermal paste as it tends to dry out over time and not do as good a job as you may wish.

I use a "12 Roymac 1600 Round" art brush to do my PC's, note I said horse hair, as plastic or acrylic produces static electricity that may damage sensitive components.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Try running it with the side panel off, it may be cooler and not shut down. HWmonitor will show max values it hit, very useful for your issue.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube