add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Errors installing Windows

Chalcopterus

3 months ago

So I finally finished my second ever built. Well I thought I did. I have a 500gb Crucial M.2 nvme SSD in the correct slot (checked Mobo manual). When I tried to install Windows the first time, all seemed fine until I restarted after the initial installation process. Now, every time I either get an error code relating to damaged or missing system32 files when I try to start up (and which exact file changes every time), or an error message telling me that Windows can't verify the digital signature of a file.

I've tried several different downloads of Windows, legal downloads using Windows' Media creation tool, on different USB drives. They all lead to the same problem.

Subsequently, I tried installing on my old formatted SATA SSD to find out what the issue was, but during the initial restart I was prompted to select one of 2 volumes I had supposedly installed Windows on. When I selected one I got another error message. When I tried formatting and installing again, I was greeted with 4 different volumes with supposedly Windows installs on them. Again, blue screen when I try opening that volume.

My guess is that is that this could be a bios or motherboard issue. But I'm not the most tech savvy person.

My built looks like this:

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

• Crucial M.2 nvme 500 GB SSD (correct slot)

• 32 GB of 3200mz, 2 channel DDR4 RAM (correct slots)

• Seasonic 550 watts fully modular, platinum Focus+ PSU

• Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1660 6GB OC videocard

• Asus B450-E Gaming Motherboard (with bios updated to accept gen 3 Ryzen processors).

As well as an old PCIE FireWire card, a front panel card reader and a USB 3.0 PCIE card.

Put it an old case of mine.

It's primarily a music production PC though also meant for some video production.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I forgot to add:

When I tried reinstalling on my m.2 before I tried installing on my SATA SSD, I was prompted to convert my m.2 from MBR to GPT EVERY TIME. When I did that and installed it, I got the error messages. And I had to convert to GPT again before attempting to reinstall Windows.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like multiple installs on top of each other. Try formatting the m.2 into one partition. Deleting and creating new. Unplug the ssd and install to the m.2 from the USB. Boot. If all goes well then plug the ssd back in and press f11 select the m.2 and format the red. If I'm reading the post right.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi thanks for your response.

The installs are on top of each other only on my SATA SSD. And the only reason I added the old SATA SSD was to troubleshoot my issue, to make sure my m.2 wasn't just busted. The weird thing about the SATA though, is that I actually AM formatting it prior to install and it still installs them on top of each other.

I do not have any intention of adding this SATA to my final build however. As I said, it was only added to troubleshoot.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

In the initial windows install screen asking where to install. You can delete "create new" partitions. I've done that before years ago, multiple installs on top of each other. If that's the case, when I installed a new win os, I would delete all partitons and create new into one partition , then double checking to make sure it's all into one partition, and then install win os to that "new" partition . Win10 is pretty straight forward for such a thing. After install hit f11 and select the drive with the new install, if all went well it should be gtg, aside drivers and such. Good luck. As a note a Linux booted "live" from a USB can clean up boot drives, hdd/ssd/m.2 as well, I use Linux mint for such a thing, when needed.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you using a USB stick that has the OS on it? If so how old is it, it might just not be transferring data properly. If you're not using that I suggest trying it, just pick up some cheap 16gb usb drive and installing it that way.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your response. Sadly, this is a new 16gb USB drive I got for the purpose of installing Windows.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I formatted the m.2 drive completely again. Now it refuses to install BECAUSE it's a GPT-partition. Why is it going back and forth? Sometimes it's prompting me to convert it to GPT to install. Other times, it's telling me that it can't install BECAUESE it's GPT. What's going on?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I used rufus to make the usb, they do say any error in the iso can mess it up but rufus is easy to just make another iso to it. I also always wondered if a SSD can't be written before it is cleaned, then what happens when its installed on and not cleaned? I had one, I hooked it to another pc and used the ssd utils to write it all clean, then I cloned it. But I had copied to it on an external, a large part of it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Is "regular" stuff installing to it? Like maybe try a different OS to even see if it works or something like Linux and download some games see if the drive itself is just fucky?

• 3 months ago
  • 0 points

Have you tried completely formatting the drive maybe?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes! Check the post above yours. It describes the result of me doing that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need to format, you need to re-partition the drive.

Try using Ultimate Boot CD to boot up to and then use gparted, located via /HDD/Partition Management, to delete all current partitions and then re-partition your HDD appropriately. Don't forget to make the primary partition bootable.

Ultimate Boot CD can also be used from a USB flash drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube