add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

DID I FRY MY GPU?

Mr.Budget
  • 3 months ago

Alright, so I recently acquired a system with a gtx 670, wanting to get the most performance I watched and followed this tutorial of how to overclock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1dGwFOdFLI&t=986s

During kombuster, I was able to get a +100mhz on the gpu, and +500 on th egpu memory while being stable. When I launched Destiny 2, It crashed almost immediately and gave me a black screen. So then I dialed back the overclock slowly, only to find that I really wasn't able to get any overclock without it crashing. Whatever I thought, I'll just forget about overclocking and get in a good gaming session. Then, when it was under load, it crashed, so I tried again, with the same result. I don't think it is complete fried because it outputs just fine, until it is under load. I should mention that I have not yet applied thermal paste, so I wonder if it is overheating? Also, I forgot that my motherboard has essentially no cooling for the vrms. I hope someone can give me an answer. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, when it crashes, sometimes it gives me colorful screens like purple.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I would never run something with a cooler that was not thermal paste as it should be, it may just be overheating and shutting down. Get HWmonitor running and check it. Heat is very important factor in OC anything, you up voltage you up the heat, you have to get rid of it in order to OC anything....and run less voltage as possible, then bench test it to see if its still stable.

If the screen is freaking out that may be GPU related, windows/cpu problem is often BSOD.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube