add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Aorus B450m + Ryzen 3rd gen CPU not posting

lightskinwasp
  • 3 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/lightskinwasp/saved/PTzgJx

I finally attempted my first build. Currently, I'm testing the mobo+ cpu outside the case, with only the mobo and cpu power+fan cords firmly attached.

When I flip the PSU switch to turn it on, one side of the mobo lights up green/yellow, while VGA and CPU lights briefly flash red. The cpu fan moves just a bit, then nothing. This happened once. For all subsequent attempts, nothing happens. I verified the CPU has no broken pins and no thermal paste on them. How do I troubleshoot this from here?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure the BIOS is up to date? (the motherboard may not recognise the 3rd gen CPU)

Try buying one of these, and flash the BIOS to the latest version on Gigabyte’s website

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

As a noob, maybe I misunderstood, "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" is on the box. does that not mean the bios version should be compatible out the box? If not, then the guy at Microcenter lied to my face.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on what version of the BIOS the motherboard shipped with (if it says 3000 ready, it should have the right BIOS version)

Also, just realised, make sure you've got the GPU plugged in, as the 3600 doesn't have any integrated graphics

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

definitely didn't have the GPU plugged in. I'll do that now and try to turn the PSU on once more and see if anything changes. I plugged in the GPU specified in my build, and tried again. Unresponsive. Switched to a 500w PSU, mobo flashes green for 0.1 seconds, no fans twitching or any other LED lights flashing (like with when I tested with my 650w) occurs

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll have to try resetting the CMOS, and then I'll post back here. It seems the mobo is sending a signal to the PSU to not run, because like I said the mobo flashes once and things twitch when I power the PSU on, but then cuts off and won't let me do the same again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube