add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC for web browsing and burning movies to dvd

Scottjoseph316
  • 3 months ago

My friend is old school and retired. He and his wife surf the web and love to make backups of their DVD collection and take them on their trips in their rv. I’ve introduced them to alternatives to burning but they would rather stick to what they know. Their pc is older, slow, freezes up etc. and we talked about building a new one that will be fast and effective for them. Im sure an AMD APU will be plenty but which one? How much ram? I want it to do the job fast but I don’t want a lot of overkill. Between $300-$400, no overkill I don’t need OS or peripherals. Thank you

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Pretty sure burning rental movies is illegal, but oh well, here's a suitable build that'll stick around their home office for another 10 years :)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $92.58 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-M2 V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $72.98 @ Amazon
Memory Team Elite Plus 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $29.98 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $19.98 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Case Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $28.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $58.54 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.85 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $372.89
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 03:28 EST-0500

You were bang on the money with an AMD APU, and the lower-end Ryzen 3 CPU is more than sufficient.

I also included a low-capacity SSD to store the OS on so the system is nice and snappy for them.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Good list, but here's some changes that will be beneficial

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $92.58 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $78.98 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $36.99 @ Amazon
Storage Team L5 LITE 3D 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $17.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Case Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $28.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $58.54 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.85 @ Amazon
Total $383.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 04:56 EST-0500
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Went for those to keep it as close to $300 as possible.

I always look at 3rd gen out-of-the-box compatibility, which is why I put in the PRO-M2.

Wow, didn't realise dual-channel can bring such a drastic change in performance, but then again, I can't see web surfing and DVD burning being a similar workload to CS:GO.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point
  • The Pro-M2 V2 only supports third gen chips from bios revision 7B84v44, whereas the MAX version can support it from 7B84vA0, which is the initial BIOS release (only saying this as you can never be sure what version of the BIOS was loaded on the board at the factory

• Even if those things aren't as demanding, it's still good to have those things, as they'll improve the quality of system performance.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, with my laptop's screen, the BIOS column gets chopped off, I can't see the versions -_-

Yeah, I also wouldn't bother trying my luck with BIOS flashing, not to mention you'd need a supported CPU beforehand to do it anyway.

True, even a small boost in performance is welcome, a couple bucks shouldn't matter too much. Well, unless it does matter to OP.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

BurntSilicon has made an excellent suggestion, but i think you could get away with something like this

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU *AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor $57.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $72.98 @ Amazon
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Storage Team L5 LITE 3D 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $17.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $26.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99
Optical Drive *Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.85 @ Amazon
Total $347.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 04:23 EST-0500
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Just wanna point out that the PSU has a preset price, is that intentional, or a remnant of another list you were making. PCPP has a price for it that's $10 cheaper, so you could make the list total a tad less.

I was also thinking about using dual-core chips since most simple productivity apps have some 'optimization' for SMT. Although, the other thing might be that if they frequently watch videos etc., they could benefit from Vega 8. May not be necessary - I'm not entirely sure how Vega 3 stacks up to other GPUs and iGPUs on the market.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I see that.

In that case, Amazon has the CX450M for $58.54 - would end being a bit of an upgrade since its semi-modular. Not that aesthetics play any part in this build.

I was just wondering how Vega 3 compares to, say UHD Graphics 630/610, since that would suffice on its own.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Vega 3 pulls ahead of UHD 610 (had to use UserBenchmark, as nothing else really is capable)

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-3-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-Intel--HD-610-Desktop-Kaby-Lake/m511366vsm225196

It does come up weaker against UHD 630, but even that is more than enough for HD media playback

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-3-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-Intel-HD-630-Desktop-Kaby-Lake/m511366vsm178724

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

tomshardware did a comparison test between a 200GE and a G5400, IIRC the conclusion was the the 200GE's APU was faster, the G5400's CPU was faster.

Either one ought to be more than enough to run this sort of machine. Heck, an ancient GT120 can run a windows desktop, browser, and youtube, and it's half the speed of a Vega 3 or less.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Burntsilicon and ImperiousBattlestar I want to thank you both so much for taking the time to not only suggest part lists but also for explaining the why. Very interesting and beneficial. Also, my mistake, I fixed it though. They love to make backups of their dvd collection and take them on their rv road trips!!! LOL

I will post pics when the build is done, they will love it!!!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube