add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming PC with Geforce 2070 super, what CPU? I5 9600K or Ryzen 5 3600

Rival178

3 months ago

I'm struggling with what CPU would work best for me. Wanting a gaming PC with a Geforce 2070 super, just not sure which CPU to go with.

Matt

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

9600k/kf better performance on average at stock slightly, has significant tuning headroom, but needs aftermarket cooling.

3600 comes with a stock cooler but is limited by it, lower gaming performance on average, near zero tuning headroom so what you get is what you get.

Neither are really worth the money these days with how little gaming performance they offer over older models like the 2600 (adds $80 back into budget), 2700 ($40 into budget and has RGB cooler), or 9400F (adds $50 back into budget along with running cheaper platform and RAM).

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the R3600, as it has double the threads and you can upgrade to an Zen 3 processor in the future if you want to.

Also it comes with a cooler.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Gilroar nailed it here. Buy the Intel CPU only if you wish to overclock and will pay big bucks for the cooling gear to do so. Result = potentially aesthetically very pleasing gaming PC. Caveat = large chunk of change.

I will add one thing - the Ryzen 3600X is worth a peek. Not for it's marginal performance gain over the stock 3600 but it comes with a somewhat very reasonable and appealing Wraith cooler. Is it worth the extra 40/45 bucks or so? I say.... YEAH!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're using a 60Hz monitor there is little reason to go all out with the CPU. Any of these CPUs will be fine for a 60Hz display so get whatever saves you the most money.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube