add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

system only boots without gpu

fictionarium
  • 3 months ago

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Intel E97379-001 CPU Cooler $8.03 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard -
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $39.99 @ Amazon
Storage SanDisk Ultra II 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $96.28 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $212.84 @ Amazon
Case Ultra XBlaster V2 ATX Mid Tower Case w/450 W Power Supply -
Power Supply EVGA BV 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -
Case Fan Corsair CO-8950006 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan $4.99 @ Corsair
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $591.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 01:50 EST-0500

I just got all the parts for this pc a couple days ago, and was surprised when it didn’t boot. I the research I did said everything was compatible with each other, yet it didn’t work. So I started troubleshooting, and it turns out the gpu was the problem. The computer would boot fine without the gpu, but with the gpu it wouldn’t even boot into bios. Are there any drivers I need to install for motherboard or gpu or is there another problem? Thanks, all help appreciated.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Drivers shouldn't affect booting, I'd guess faulty gpu or total system power draw on boot may be drawing more than the "450" watts of the psu (meaning your psu may not be supplying full rated power?). I'd wait for others to chime in but those would be my guesses.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there any way I can get the psu to supply the full power?

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope, would be a faulty unit if it is not. Your bios should automatically switch to pcie mode (vs integrated) if you have something plugged in via pcie with a display out plugged into that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, check in BIOS see if integrated graphics is enabled, could be conflicting with your card.

Or bad GPU/ PSU

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The psu and gpu are pretty much brand new, and once I went into Bios I couldn’t find the integrated graphics. The only thing that looked close to it was internal graphic, but I don’t know if they are the same thing.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor OC - 500W system power supply requirement. Please refer the User Guide before use.

RX 580 - PSU External Power: 1 PCIe 8-pin connector

BIOS SETTING:

Init Display First

Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard graphics.

Auto Lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default)

IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.

PEG Sets the PCI Express graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display.

Internal Graphics

Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Auto)

So, these setting are supposed to be automatically set. But, you can attempt to set them manually to see if there are any changes.

Init Display - set to 'PEG'

Internal Graphic - set to 'Disabled'

SAVE/ EXIT

What GPU is compatible with Motherboard?

PCI Express x16 slot has three versions, backwards compatibly with modern PCI Express 3.0 graphics card, will work in a Motherboard with a PCI Express x16 2.0 slot.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So can I not use the rx 580 without the 500w? I’ve seen multiple, if not hundreds of builds with the rx 580 and 450w power supplies. Thanks for the reply, I will try everything

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

{SOLVED} thanks for the replies everybody, especially @Morgan123

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube