add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with a PC Problem

davidwoellmer
  • 3 months ago

I have a EVGA NEX 750W PSU and a fan controller for case fans that is powered by a Molex 4 pin cable(both male and female sides). I have a 6 pin PSU cable to split 3 pin Molex Cables (both male) but when attempting to plug this in and plug the fan controller into the cable the computer will NOT boot. When this cable is in the power supply and unplugged from the controller it will boot just fine but when plugged in I get a blinking red light on my CPU spot on my motherboard (Gigabyte B360) Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem or how to properly power the case fans via the only power cable out of the controller (4 pin molex) any and all responses are appreciated thanks!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Sounds to me that there is likely a short circuit in the fan controller and the safeguard of the PSU is kicking in.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean its a brand new fan controller do you think I should just return it and get a new one?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

also is there anyway to test that this is the case prior to returning?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically you test it by not having it plugged in and verify the PC works that way which you have done. Then you plug that fan control in with no other changes and if the system fails to boot you know it has an issue. It is not like you are adding a power hungry GPU to a super low wattage CPU where the system is demanding too much power. Fan power draw is just a drop in the bucket compared to other things in the system. Basically you have already done the testing.

Now here is another idea, use your motherboard instead of the case fan controller. I checked the manual for your motherboard and it seems you have 3x 4 pin fan headers and in the BIOS (page 28 in manual) you can set the fan control from PWM to Voltage which allows the motherboard to control the speed of a 3 pin fan. You can even set fan curves so the motherboard will automatically adjust fan speeds according to temps. Instead of using a basic manual fan control why not use an automated fan control from the motherboard? Also if you have more than 3 fans you can get cheap 3-pin fan splitters but keep in mind no more than 3 fans split per header.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube