add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System restore after a deep reboot scan found a few corrupted files

atomicdeathray
  • 3 months ago

My laptop started lagging and freezing 2 days earlier so I downloaded Avast antivirus and did a deep reboot scan sorta thing where it said that a few files were corrupted. After the laptop booted, I initiated a virus scan. A notification alert from Avast said that the laptop needed restarting asap. I restarted it but then the laptop started showing an error message “Your PC has trouble starting.” After that, it went into automatic system repair and after some prodding around in restore options given in the error message menu, it initiated a system restore from the most recent Windows 10 update which was on 25th October 2019. It still restoring but I’m really worried and I’m not good at troubleshooting software and virus problems. Is this something I should worry about? The laptop is just around 3 yrs old. I didn’t let the virus scan complete, as I thought that the restart was crucial, so I don’t even know for sure whether there is any virus on it.

P.S I connected a memory card with a fatal hardware error to the laptop just before these problems started. I tried to open and move a few files from the memory card but that’s it. I guess the corrupted files which the reboot scan was telling me about must have been those few files I tried to move from the memory card.

Plz let me know your opinion

UPDATE; The PC restored properly but Google Chrome isn't opening now idk why and Avast was deleted automatically after restoration.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

Hello,

To save time just do a "Windows 10 Reset" backup all your personal files first.

Windows will load a factory clean copy from a protected partition on your storage drive.

Afterwards, you'll need to run the Windows update again and again until there are not more updates. May take some time since your computer is 3 years old.

But, it's the best way to clean up an old computer the factory state.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks Morgan, though I haven't got the chance to use your technique, I will definitely consider it if this problem occurs again. For the time being, I got Kaspersky internet protection and I am backing up files on GDrive slowly. There's nothing very imp. on my laptop currently so its all good :) I'll be formatting this laptop later on. It might stop this laptop from lagging periodically.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube