add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No Video Output or USB ports working. Possibly Motherboard?

once_upon_a_goat
  • 3 months ago

Part List

I came back to my dorm after a weekend to no video output when I powered it on. I ensured it was not the HDMI cables or HDMI switch currently in use. I even tested the DP connections to my roommate's monitor and there was still no video output. My motherboard has two PCIe 16x slots so I tried both and one (of the very many) boots I finally got video output and it loaded into windows (it was in the low res like when you boot a new system with no GPU driver), I logged in and when I got to the desktop all power to my USB devices was cut off, my keyboard nor my mouse was working (I tested every USB port). Therefore I shut it down and then was unable to get video again after that, continuing to test both PCIe slots. I, unfortunately, do not have anything with me to aid in my diagnosis. At home, I have an old Quadro NVS 295 I can throw in to test if it is the GPU along with some other tools to narrow down what it could be. I also tested with another drive with Windows 10 installed that was previously in this pc and there was no video output. Due to this I assume it was not even posting although it was not boot looping, it was just booting up and staying up with no video output.

At this point, I am led to believe that it is the Motherboard. It is a little over 3 years old and was refurbished when I purchased it. I am just looking for input if my diagnosis is correct or if anyone has any other guesses/ suggestions.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

First we need a complete parts list of your build.

Hard if not impossible to troubleshoot without other hardware components to swap.

When you power on, do the fans remain spinning or do they stop a second later?

How many warning lights on your motherboard?

Dead motherboard? To test the motherboard you would need to pull it out and bench test it. You would need to swap, psu, cpu, ram, and gpu to eliminate all other possibilities.

If the fans don't remain spinning, first swap the psu.

If the fans do remain spinning power down re-seat all ram sticks. Reboot.

If still no video, pull out all but one stick and test in each slot, do this with each stick until you've checked all slots and all sticks. Remember to power down before making any changes.

I'll stop here to check on your progress.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The part list is linked at the top of my post, on boot, the fans remained spinning so I knew it was not an issue with the PSU or any capacitors. Unfortunately, I believe the Dell Precision T5600's Motherboard does not warn lights and there was no beep codes. I have already tested it with only one RAM module per CPU and still no boot, along with no boot with no RAM modules installed. I will test further later today and get back to you soon.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a lot of work yesterday so I didn't get the chance to let you know but the RAM Module in DIMM 1 CPU 1 died and that was the root of the issue. I completely forgot about the diagnostic LEDs on the front of the case and looked up the code and then cycled my RAM through different slots.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube