add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help updating my intel driver! All my favorite games are not working anymore!

themoistnoodler
  • 3 months ago

Hello, Drew here, I noticed a few weeks ago my CPU usage (or whichever one is the processor) has been going through the roof and staying around 95 to 100% usage when I am playing games such as Gears of War 5 and GTA 5 and this is causing the games to stutter so bad the audio drops out and in many cases freezes or crashes entirely. I tried installing the driver manually from the intel page because it said I am running version 10.0.18362.387 which says its from 4/21/2009! Why is my driver so outdated and how do I update it? I am running a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) and everytime I try and install a driver either through the automatic intel website driver updater it says "no update required" or when I go and manually try and do it it says "error, "Your computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software". Can someone please help me update my driver so I can get back to enjoying the games I love? Thank you for all your help and I hope you guys have a nice day. I'm so confused on what to do any help would be appreciated

System Specs as follows System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name System Type x64-based PC System SKU SKU Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0803, 9/24/2015 SMBIOS Version 3.0 Embedded Controller Version 255.255 BIOS Mode Legacy BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. BaseBoard Product Z170 PRO GAMING BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot State Unsupported PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387" User Name USS-NORMANDY\Drew F Time Zone Eastern Standard Time Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB Available Physical Memory 9.75 GB Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB Available Virtual Memory 9.79 GB Page File Space 2.38 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys Kernel DMA Protection Off Virtualization-based security Not enabled Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello,

The processor release date is August 2015.

How long since you did a clean install of Windows?

You could spend days trying to trouble shoot this or just backup your files and reinstall the OS, then update Windows and drivers.

Hold off on installing third-party software until you've tested it's behavior.

If all goes well, start installing just a few programs at a time over a period of day to see if the issue returns.

If it does, do a system restore to the time before the last changes were made.

At that point you'd know it has something to do with the most recent changes.

The other way, would involve monitoring all background applications to identify which programs are hogging system resources. Once identified you would shut the process down until the cpu returns to a idle.

You can also 'Clean Boot' the system to eliminate third-party interference.

Run virus scans, malwares scans, perform a complete maintenance routine to clean up the system.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks! I'm going to start with the clean install of windows, I'll back up all my files and stuff and then reinstall the OS. Only thing is I dont still have the little jump drive windows came on, will I need that do reinstall windows?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

... will I need that do reinstall windows?

USB flash drive with your Windows OS version is recommended unless you use a Windows OS DVD disc.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube