add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

sudden slow down, fps stutter, etc

FLOYDIE

2 months ago

Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/GmyfrH

So this build was done in September-ish 2016 and up until now have had zero issues. About 2 weeks ago now while playing Destiny 2 (vsync at 60 and 1080p) I started getting FPS stutters during gameplay and especially while in menus switching between screens. Same issue happening in Outer Worlds lots of sudden FPS stuttering.

On the desktop I've noticed that when I click on Chrome its now taking 5-10 seconds for it to open where as before it was instant. The final issue is that when I go into my downloads folder specifically it takes 5-10 seconds for the items to list whereas before it was instant. Windows is on my SSD - games and documents are all on regular hard drive so wondering if the drive is possibly failing? Windows seems to be booting up at the normal fast speed.

Have tried turning down the overclock on my CPU - has been at 4.5mhz for the past few years. Tried turning the overclock on my RAM from 2500 back to 2400. Tried turning down the over clock on my GPU. So far none of this has made a difference. I don't believe it's a cooling issue as I've monitored those temps and the volts and nothing has changed.

As said before I've had zero issues with my rig up until now. I know the limitations and what it can handle as far as gaming and what setting I typically need to tweak. Anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Run a health check on your drives.Samsung makes one for the SSD and Seagate makes a tool for the hard drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube