add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wireless connection on desktop #2 is weak

PDA2200
  • 3 months ago

Wanted to get some opinions from you guys. Have my router downstairs and my 2nd desktop upstairs and the wireless connection is good then bad, etc. Should I get a wireless adapter? A 2nd router maybe? I'm thinking it may be my motherboard with my 2nd desktop because my connection is fine with my laptop..

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

might be getting interference from a neighbor on the same wifi channel? if you have an android phone you can use free apps to see the wifi channels and strength of all the signals, walk around the house and see the impact etc. If you have apple... well they are tyrants and don't allow that for some reason... If there is interference, you could try changing channels or move the router a bit if there is a signal drop where your pc is.

Laptop better than PC might just be a better wifi adapter, you would have to check the specs to see if they are equal and what the signal gain is etc.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Wondering if its just my motherboard perhaps? ASUS B450

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Simple way to fix this is with either a WIFI signal extender or a mesh wireless setup.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The built in wifi for the recent motherboards now are pretty good so I don't think getting an external USB adapter is going to improve it all that much. Is there no possible way for you to experiment with the wireless router in different locations?

1. You can use a mesh wifi setup.
  2. You can use power-line adapters.
  3. You can use a wifi range extender.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube