add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wanting to switch from Intel to Ryzen

YautjaMayne

2 months ago

Hi. I'm currently looking at upgrading my CPU and mobo in my computer. I currently have a i5 - 7400 and I want to upgrade the CPU, but to a Ryzen 2600x. My question is can I switch platforms and mobo without encountering problems?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Do a full clean and reinstall of Windows otherwise problems pop up from Windows trying to run Intel drivers on a AMD system.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I went out and spent money I didn't need to. I'm still new to the building and replacing PC parts thing.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Btw... Could I still use my HDD and SSD from my previous PC without having to wipe my drives or should I back everything up and start from scratch?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You can reuse them.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you make significant hardware changes on your device, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows will no longer find a license that matches your device, and you'll need to reactivate Windows to get it up and running. To activate Windows, you'll need either a digital license or a product key.

Full Retail Windows + New Motherboard = No New License Required. ... Therefore, you can transfer the license to a new machine / motherboard. However, you will still need to reinstall Windows clean because the old Windows installation likely won't work on the new hardware.

OEM Windows + New Motherboard = New Windows License Required (99% of the time)

In some cases, if you replace the motherboard with the exact same model and hardware revision as the previous motherboard (if your computer was struck by lightning, for example), you may not need a license, but this is a craps shoot.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I've been trying to find info without having to ask, but Google search took me to the same places I had already searched. I figured I would have to do a clean install, but I wanted to make sure before I went out and bought everything. Didn't want to spend unnecessary money. Again, thank you.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

My pleasure

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube