add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lights on, no display

metgear2

2 months ago

The spec: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rfZtn7

Hi all, So my new build seems to have an issue where the case/motherboard lights all come on, and stay on. The fans start, then stop immediately, with the exception of the CPU fan, which runs very slowly. I'm getting no beeps, and no display.

I've tried the following:

• Reseating the CPU

• Using just one ram stick, in different slots

• Using a GPU I know works.

I'm worried the CPU is faulty, I unplugged the CPU 4+4 power connectors and get the same result as if it were plugged in.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like a cpu issue, but the mobo should say something

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

brand/ model GPU

Did you try plugging the monitor directly into the motherboard to verify video output?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I tried initially without GPU, connecting directly to the motherboard, I then tested with a gtx 780 I have. I'm planning to use a 1070 from my old PC before getting a new GPU in the new year. Pretty certain the issue is not GPU related

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

look for bent pins on the motherboard socket, on a side not that is not enough cooler for that processor. I would bet on another bad Asus board before the processor.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers, will have a look tomorrow. Any suggested cooler for the CPU?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You've verified the monitor and the cable both are working by testing on another PC?

At this point, I would pull the motherboard and bench test it. Connect only psu, monitor, cpu, cooler, one stick of ram. Make sure there are no bend pins as suggested by Zerk. Make sure the cooler is fully tightened down. cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan header. Try each stick of Ram in the different slots, powering down for each change. Still nothing?

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

When all else fails remove cmos battery for 10 minutes then put it back in and try it again. If you have a new cmos battery put that in.

Still nothing? Flash the bios with an updated version.

swap psu

RMA motherboard

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Not op, but how do you flash bios? I thought you needed working cpu for that?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I wasn't saying to flash bios without the cpu, lol

But, yes you can if the motherboard supports it.

Here take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDxq0-edAI

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Monitor and cable work fine. Connected only PSU, a stick of RAM, CPU, cooler. I pulled the CMOS battery for 15 minutes. Still getting no display, though pulling the CMOS battery did lead to the case fans staying on instead of stopping after a second, so that's progress (sort of)? Still can't get anything to display on the monitor :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube