add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Helps with drives connection

Guille92h

2 months ago

Hi, i've bought a sabrent nvme m.2 and my mobo, an msi x470 gaming plus, only has one pci3.0 for nvme m.2 but it interferes with my sata_port1 where i have my boot drive a samsung ssd, so i'd have to change the boot drive of sata_port in the sata port2 i have an hdd if i want to use the m.2 with max speed i'll have to change the boot drive of port, would that impact the performance of the samsung as it is the os drive, all the ports are sata 6 according to the mobo manual, the other option i have is to connect the m.2 in the m2_2 which doesn't interfere with any sata port but it only gets up to sata 6 gb/s speed.

Thanks.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Both m.2 slots will run NVMe, but you want M2_1 as it runs PCIe 3.0. There's nothing in the manual about M2_1 interfering with any of the SATA ports, that's M2_2. M2_2 can run either NVMe (but only at PCIe 2.0 speeds) or SATA.

In any case, all the SATA ports are equal, if you had to move an hdd there would be no performance impact.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah yes how stupid i am, i read m2_1 interferes with sata but it says m2_2 interferes, , so apparently i am not going to have problems using the m2_1, well many thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube