add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are there shortages right now (especially RAM in Canada)?

EGardner

12 days ago

I'm just looking through my parts list getting ready to pull the trigger on some new stuff, and I'm noting a fair number of parts I've been watching are stating to come up with blank "no price available" messages. Digging into things a bit more, I'm noting that a fair number of the parts I've been looking at have disappeared from places like newegg.ca and MemoryExpress

G-Skill AEGIS ram (32Gb 3200 2x16Gb) seems to be gone, the similar Flare X seems to be gone from most of the places I thought used to carry it... Even the RipJaws V seems to have gone out of stock in a few places. (I'm sure it used to be fairly widespread, and now it seems to only show up in 5 stores, one of which is out of stock...)

Likewise for much of the rest of my list - stuff that used to be in a decent list of stores are now only listed in a few. And I'm looking at a new 570 Ryzen build - not exactly old or outdated components.

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 3 points

Memory manufacturers have ended a bunch of older production in favor of higher densities so they need less chips per given capacity.

So many older sku's which make up the majority of QVL qualified memory are disappearing.

Some of the newer sku's are seeing shortened supply from some contamination issues from a bad run of plates which isn't helping matters.

And to top it all off Canada's supply often comes through the U.S. who has placed tariffs on memory production coming from China which isn't helping the supply issues since manufacturers would rather sell somewhere they can make more profits.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

I do see Titan RTX shortages. I rarely find places that sell them, and even if they do, prices can vary from to $3.3K to $4K.

• 11 days ago
  • 2 points

And also lots of sales from Black Friday/Cyber Monday as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube