add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stupid question... new stupid builder? Windows....

Pcjimbo

11 days ago

Hi guys,

Bit of a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Have received all my parts today... (apart from windows). My build does not have a DVD/CD drive. How do I get windows onto my PC? I intended to just buy it from a store, as am UK based and the amazon copy suggested by this website would have taken 3 weeks to arrive.

Is there a place where I can buy a USB version? is it even sold in stores?

am I better buying a cheap DVD drive and buying a CD?

I can't believe I neglected this step, and it only occurred to me afterwards?

Please be kind, as I'm feeling like an idiot as it is...

Comments

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

You can buy a small thumb drive and download the installer on it. Google it.

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...!

If the license key you bought for your Windows installation is legit/bought from a reputable source, then all you need to do is go to the Microsoft website, select edition, select language, Choose 32bit or 64bit depending on your device and download the ISO you need. Then with a USB flash drive write the ISO to the USB drive either with software provided by the Microsoft website or use Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.8.9.exe, I use the latter myself. Then set in your BIOS to boot from flash, plug your USB into a USB 2.0 port (not blue) and turn on your PC. Presumably, at some point you'll be ask for your license key during the installation process.

Are you a student by any chance? If so you may be able to get Windows 10 for free with an education version... the website didn't work for me when I tried to look at it, you may have to ask at your school or university wherever you happen to attend.

Also it should be mentioned you can supposedly run Windows 10 without a key, but limitations are imposed.

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

the OEM version comes on a DVD, the Retail version comes on a USB. I recommend the retail version since you can freely transfer it between computers later.

Either way, you are really just buying the license key. Microsoft offers a media creation tool where you can download the install files for Windows 10 and make a bootable USB drive if you have a spare one. Then just install and use your key you bought.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube