add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

All fans and LEDs work, but no display

MayContainPo1son
  • 2 months ago

I've just finished my first PC build and everything seems to be working fine... except from the screen. There's no POST whether I use the HDMI port on my gpu or mobo. All the LEDs and fans turn on aswell as the LEDs on the case.

The monitor works as I have connected it to my laptop and it is displaying everything as it should. I have tried moving the RAM around in the slots but it hasn't fixed anything. I have also checked over the wires but everything is plugged in as it should be. The only thing that might not be plugged in right is the gpu which I used an 8 pin connector rather than the 6 pin for power.

Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card PSU - GameMax RGB 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply RAM - Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Storage - Seagate FireCuda 1 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate to be basic... but: Did you plug everything in? Did you try restarting the system? Is the monitor broken?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything is plugged in. The monitor work perfectly when plugged into my laptops hdmi port. I've tried turning the system off and on again several times with no different results. After poking around for a bit, I've noticed that the VGA light on the mother board stays lit after it has gone past the CPU and DRAM lights, and never reaching the BOOT light.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

are there side buttons on the monitor? sometimes the monitor will be set to only recognize one certain type of port, and it can be selected in the monitor settings.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't access the monitors settings while off so I plugged it into my laptop to check. There are no options to change the type of port it uses so I would assume it does it automatically. If I plug my laptop into either of the monitors ports then it detects which is active.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your HDMI cable plugged inti your motherboard or GPU?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently the GPU, however I have tried both and also have taken out the GPU and tried using solely the integrated graphics.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Have you plugged in the additional 8 pin and 6 pin PCI-E power plugs?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the 8 pin plugged in but nothing came with a 6 pic cable, I assumed that I only needed one of the two although I may be incorrect in thinking this.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

That's the problem. The card need both the 8 pin and 6 pin to work. I loked up your PSU model, and it includes two 6+2 pin plugs. One of them should have both the 6 pin and 2 pin plugs in, and for the other one, just put the 6 pin in, and leave the 2 pin hanging out.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I'll give it a shot!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This! Came to say this as reading the post that was first thought.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube