add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System now failing to boot...

ObtuseMoose_

2 months ago

[RESOLVED]

Good day!

I am building my brother a PC for Christmas, and thought i'd start building it a head of time.

The components I have opted for are as follows; MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 2700 (Wraith Spire RGB LED Cooler), ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 1060 (6GB), CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX RAM (2x8GB), CORSAIR CP-9020101-UK CX450M 450, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB HDD, WD 500GB M.2 SSD, CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB,

I started building it today (6th, December, 2019), and things were going great! I had installed all the components and connected up all cables - if a little messy. Once all connected, I powered up the PC and it booted to the grub screen letting me know that there wasn't a bootable drive detected - as there wasn't. All the RGB fans came on, lights for the CPU cooler lit up, as well as those on the motherboard too. With this, I switched the machine off.

Once a windows bootable drive was created, I plugged it in, turned the computer on selected the appropriate settings (United Kingdom, Windows 10 Pro 64x, the M.2 drive to install to, etc.) and then the OS started installing. At around 15% through, all the lights on the machine turned off and the computer was dead. I gave it a little time, just to make sure that it was not restarting itself for the install; though I did not remember this occurring before. But nothing happened. I unplugged the PSU cable, plugged it back in and powered it on, for the lights to turn on for a less than half a second and turn back off.

I have checked the power connections, unplugging them all and plugging them back in just to make sure but with no luck. I have seen RAM in the past causing some issues. So, one at a time I removed the 2 sticks - again with no luck or change. I have yet to try restarting/ resetting the CMOS; but I don't believe this to be the issue.

The thing that is baffling me is that the PC turned on and was working fine; even to the point of installing the OS. This leads me to believe that the issue is with the PSU. But, I didn't want to purchase and new one/ return the existing without checking elsewhere first.

If you have any ideas as to what the problem is please do let me know. I am all ears.

--UPDATE--

I decided that it would be best to purchase another PSU in order to further prove or disprove my orignal assumptions.

Upon switching out the unit, the PC is now up and running without issue. Thank god it was not the motherboard!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The most likely thing is the power supply

If you have another power supply or something, Id start with trying that one on this system to start. (Like if you have your own personal build, and you don't mind pulling out the unit)

If that works, then you can likely return it as dead on arrival and get another one.

If it's not that, it could potentially be the motherboard. Just let me know what happens

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I do have a PSU for my system. But, ideally I do not want to plug this in incase the system is at fault and somehow fries my unit.

I am going to purchase another power supply and try this. Hopefully I can return the current one - Amazon are pretty good. And, if not, its good to have a spare laying around (if it is not broken that is xD)

I will keep you updated anyhow.

God! I hope it is not the motherboard. Even if I can return it, it's such a pain in the ***.

Appreciate it.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Sounds good to me, good luck

And yeah the motherboard going out really sucks. Cause then you have to remove everything and all that and it’s not fun, I’ve been there

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello!

A little update;

I have switched out the PSU and the system is now up and running. Thanks for your assistance!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube