add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I've been getting a HEAVY FPS drop recently in games after switching RAM

pentalway
  • 2 months ago

With the two games that I play the most, which is Mordhau and Insurgency Sandstorm, during heavy moments where a lot of things are happening on screen, my FPS would dip in the late 20s affecting my gameplay drastically. It never dipped that bad with my other ram.

So, anyways, I swapped out my two sticks of 2400 32gb RAM (G.SKILL Flare X (for AMD) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2400C15D-32GFX) for two sticks of 3600 16gb ram (G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19D-16GVRB), which I have it running at 3400, because trying to run it at 3600 gives my computer an error message. Note that I am running a threadripper build, and I heard they were more reliant on RAM speed.

Everything seemed peachy at first, and it actually felt like my faster RAM actually improved my FPS. Tried ARK and it was giving me over 100 FPS with most of the settings maxed out. Never got that much on that game. Then I tried Insurgency and Mordhau, and both games were giving me over 100 FPS in the beginning, or at least Mordhau was, but when things get chaotic in those games, my FPS would dip so low it would affect my performance.

Why would faster RAM make those games chug more during those heavier moments? It has half the memory of my old RAM, but I don't see how that would affect it as I never use up that much memory. Is it because my new RAM sticks weren't in my MOBO'S QVL while my old RAM were? Or is it because I left the voltage for my RAM as is when I went to go change the speed? It feels like my computer is underperforming considering I have a 1080ti card.

GPU - EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 1080ti CPU - Threadripper 1950x MOBO - Asrock x399 Taichi Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19D-16GVRB PSU - EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 80+ Titanium OS - Windows 10 Pro

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

english please? id help you but this it legitimately to much information for my brain at once

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

With the two games that I play the most, which is Mordhau and Insurgency Sandstorm, during heavy moments where a lot of things are happening on screen, my FPS would dip in the late 20s affecting my gameplay drastically. It never dipped that bad with my other ram.

So, anyways, I swapped out my two sticks of 2400 32gb RAM (G.SKILL Flare X (for AMD) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2400C15D-32GFX) for two sticks of 3600 16gb ram (G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19D-16GVRB), which I have it running at 3400, because trying to run it at 3600 gives my computer an error message. Note that I am running a threadripper build, and I heard they were more reliant on RAM speed.

Everything seemed peachy at first, and it actually felt like my faster RAM actually improved my FPS. Tried ARK and it was giving me over 100 FPS with most of the settings maxed out. Never got that much on that game. Then I tried Insurgency and Mordhau, and both games were giving me over 100 FPS in the beginning, or at least Mordhau was, but when things get chaotic in those games, my FPS would dip so low it would affect my performance.

Why would faster RAM make those games chug more during those heavier moments? It has half the memory of my old RAM, but I don't see how that would affect it as I never use up that much memory. Is it because my new RAM sticks weren't in my MOBO'S QVL while my old RAM were? Or is it because I left the voltage for my RAM as is when I went to go change the speed? It feels like my computer is underperforming considering I have a 1080ti card.

GPU - EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 1080ti CPU - Threadripper 1950x MOBO - Asrock x399 Taichi Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19D-16GVRB PSU - EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 80+ Titanium OS - Windows 10 Pro

As odd as this sounds but it may be why your random 20 FPS dips occur because you used to have 32GB of RAM (2x16GB of it). Despite it was lower clock speed but you will notice some dips just by taking out that additional 16GB of RAM but this varies per game to begin with as some utilize more (may become balanced out if so) or less than others.

Do you recall what the FPS ratio was when you used to have 32GB @ 2400MHz when playing Mordhau and Insurgency Sandstorm versus the 16GB @ 3400MHz?

When anything becomes more busy in the background for some games it might also rely on RAM even though the GPU and CPU will be utilize too (depending upon what the game focuses to use). Having overclock RAM especially will increase some FPS (I don't think it's a major increase) but truth be told its certainly something when you could get an additional 10-15 FPS or maybe more depending upon the game's optimization. Now this is not applicable to all video games but you have mentioned already the sudden random FPS dip with two of them.

So worse case scenario is you may need to adjust the GPU's rendering for some games like FOV which is a perspective distance, adjust the anisotropic filtering (texture being clear or less clear), maybe reduce or turn off the tessellation (depth of the geometry), turn off motion blur, adjust the amount of texture from the GPU, lessen shadow as this a major culprit for FPS going down, also adjust the ambient occlusion (lighting) or/and antilasing by a step down if necessary.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it would actually fluctuate between 100 and 50.

I went to the BIOS and changed the XMP thingy, whatever it's called, to have it automatically select the speed for my ram, and funny enough it set my RAM speed at I think 2128. So I went into Mordhau to try it out, same map and everything, and I wasn't getting a massive FPS drop to the point where it would impact my gameplay greatly like it was when I had my speed set at 3400...

Anyone know why having the ram set at a much lower speed actually decreases FPS spikes? If that's the case, should I just go back to my 32gb 2400 ram?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube