add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

im sorry if this has been posted a thousand times but im stumped

fictionarium
  • 2 months ago

I see so much posts about this problem, yet none of them really have a straightforward answer.

My problem - my computer won't boot after I install a gpu into the motherboard, instead the monitor shows no signal and goes to a black screen. All the parts are working, I checked. I only have one PCI slot for a gpu.

things i tried

-taking out the CMOS battery

-installing drivers for the graphics card

-using a ton of different monitors

-using a ton of different computers

-using a ton of different display cables (vga,hdmi,dvi)

-making sure the gpu is seated in properly to the slot

-turning off integrated graphics

-getting a larger psu (550w)

The only thing I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, but after going on the HP website (I have a HP pavilion) it says it is the latest version.

My parts - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03673337 + gt 630, this computer and gpu are old parts i had laying around and the build will be for a friend

thanks, sorry for this post

Edit - after plugging in the monitor to the computer (either into the motherboard or gpu) the computer would beep 6 times. This only happens when the gpu is in the computer, otherwise it works fine. Thanks

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

After you installed the GPU did you plug off the GPU and not the motherboard?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, as I said, each part works fine individually.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I think he was asking for clarification that the monitor video cord is plugged into the GPU and not left plugged into the motherboard video outputs.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh thanks for the clarification, I did check to make sure it was plugged into the gpu only. It still didn’t work :(

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Are the GPU fans spinning?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the supplemental GPU power plugged in? Next step would be testing the GPU in another PC and/or another GPU in this PC.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Since the gpu is so old, it doesn't need a power cable and instead gets power from the motherboard

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm unable to find a GT 660... did you mean a GTX 660? or like a GT 640?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh sorry it’s a gt 630

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Its an old card, clean the contacts with a soft white pencil eraser so they are shiny... you'd be surprised how a little bit of corrosion on the gold contacts can cause issues

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube