add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just Curious on what happens when you swap motherboards and cpus

Jee138

1 month ago

If I were to swap my motherboard, Cpu, as well as ram, Would I need to do anything? Would I lose anything eg. Windows, data Is it just as simple as taking out the motherboard out and replacing parts ?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You will need to do a a full OS reinstall. Windows has drivers for your motherboard installed, so when you boot off the new one, the OS will not be detected. However, this is a simple task. Google "Windows 10 ISO" and download the disk image to a USB Stick. Then, boot from that stick and install Windows. I actually do this regularly to my PC as it improves hard drive speeds.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So if I were to change motherboards, would I still be able to use the old windows code for the new motherboard?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are doing CPU and RAM swap, nothing happens, works like normal. If you are doing a motherboard swap, you'll still be able to get into Windows (most of the time). However, it'll become deactivated as the key is tied into the old motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube