add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New GPU causing high CPU temps

tomtaymccoll
  • 2 months ago

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my GPU from a 1060 6gb to a 2070 Super Ultra XC.

Since the change, I have noticed that my PC case has been getting a lot hotter. I checked my GPU temps and they are running fine, below average actually. So I checked my CPU temps... and all 8 cores (9700k) are running at around 85-87c. This is hottt. I have the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cooler, which is supposed to be a really good cooler?

My theory is, that the GPU is pumping out more heat, therefore the airflow in my case is being warmed up, causing the cooling of my CPU to be affected. Should i invest in an AIO? Or should I change my case to a better one with improved airflow? If you look at the specs list below, you can see that I kind of cheaped out on my case...

Any advice would be great :)

MB- ASUS ROG Strix X390-E CPU- Intel i7 9700k (not overclocked) Cooler- CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO RAM- HyperX Fury 2400mhz 16gb GPU- EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra PSU- Corsair TX 750m Case- CiT Raider PC Case Drives- 1x WD Green 250gb SSD, 1x WD Black 1tb HDD, 1x WD Red 4tb HDD

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really forsee that being the case, but it is possible

How do you have the heatsink oriented? Like, is the fan on the bottom of the it, or one of the sides?

Also do you have plenty of air moving through the case? Make sure every fan you have is working properly.

Because if your card is running fine temp wise, then it really wouldn't be messing with anything else

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The hyper 212 is borderline for that processor just at turbo speed. I would replace it and yes upgrading the video card added more heat in the case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube