add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard - Good for gaming or not?

RyanGrant
  • 74 months ago

My main question is how well will this motherboard work for a gaming build. I know that a lot of people go with Z87 but I like the color of this mobo and is pretty inexpensive.

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Z87 is an Intel chipset, whereas the 990X (motherboard in question) is an AMD chipset. What CPU are you planning to use....?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

990X is a no go for you. It is designed for AMD. You must go with either the H81, B85, H87, Q87 or Z87 chipset. If you want to overclock or have SLI support, you must go with the Z87 chipset.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I understand now, thanks for clearing that up. Just curious what is the difference between those chipsets. Are some geared toward gaming more than others?

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes and no. I wouldn't say any are geared towards gaming, but the one that fits the bill would be the "enthusiast" Z87. It offers overclocking support of unlocked (K-series) CPUs, as well as SLI support among other things. Based on what your willing to spend, they can also be the most feature filled motherboards.

All of these motherboards are Z87 and support SLI. https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=89&sort=a8&l=2&f=2

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube