add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to transfer windows from an HDD to a new m.2

yaboigar
  • 5 months ago

I'm building a PC for Xmas and have an HDD that I have my OS on. I have a pci nvme ssd to transfer it to. But how do I do it?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

I guess we should ask what OS you are talking about. But for Windows here are the loops you will have to jump through. The link at the bottom is much more detailed

Microsoft has a bunch of rules about this, the worst being that it has to be a retail version of Windows. If Windows was preinstalled on your old computer or you bought the OEM version of Windows, you will not be able to do it. Otherwise write down your Product ID. Now you have to deactivate Windows on the old drive. At the command prompt type "slmgr.vbs /upk" without the quotation marks. Or format the old drive so that there is no hint of the ID. Install Windows fresh on the new SSD and hope it works. But you are probably going to have to call Microsoft. When you put in the key it will most likely pop up a box with a phone number you have to call.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

oh, i already built my pc lol, but thx anyway. i just got a fresh new windows copy and activated my old one with the product key on that one and then mapped my drives.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I gave you a like for replying. Some of the sub-forums are much more active and it was not until after I posted my reply that I noticed this was 8 days old. I have this habit of finding questions that get zero replies and offering my best guess answer if for no other reason than to bump it back to the top. :-)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

oh ok lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube