add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Ryzen 5 3600. PC won't start. Old CPU now overheats in 30 seconds.

McCleary
  • 1 month ago

Hey guys!

So, I have a build with a GTX 1070 TI, Ryzen 5 1600, a Tomahawk B350, 16 GB of ram, aaaand that should be everything pertinent.

I got a new CPU for Christmas; a Ryzen 5 3600. Upon removing the CPU and installing the new one, the PC wouldn't start. The MOBO showed a red light next to the CPU text, indicating that the CPU isn't working. Nothing shows on the screen or anything else, so the boot won't continue because the CPU is bad. Makes sense. So, I put my old CPU back in (the Ryzen 5 1600) and now it can't even get to the Windows splash without overheating and forcing an emergency powerdown. Upon taking the CPU back out, I almost dropped it because of the heat. Do you have any ideas? I'm thinking it MIGHT be that the CPU socket is zapped and I need a new Mobo, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Either you didn't mount the heat sink properly on the CPU and/or you didn't apply fresh heat compound paste to the CPU.

The paste is very important, even though your CPU and heat sink seem to be flat and making good contact they really don't and you need that paste.

Also, if you don't mount a heat sink correctly with the right pressure on the CPU that system may seem dead cause it may not boot, depends on the system of course.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So, I put my old CPU back in (the Ryzen 5 1600) and now it can't even get to the Windows splash without overheating and forcing an emergency power down.

Most probably because of what treloar stated below.

You didn't mount the cooler properly.

You did not applied the proper thermal paste or not thermal paste at all, or even worse you applied to much thermal paste thus the processor may overheat or even short circuit.

Note: Clearing the CMOS wouldn't hurt either after changing the processor back to the Ryzen 1600.

As for the 3600 matter, if that board isn't flashed to an proper BIOS revision, the BIOS will not recognize that CPU, as the chip-set is way older than a 3600 Matisse processor.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I looked up his motherboard and there is no mention for a BIOS update to run the 3600, in fact it specifically states its only for 1st and 2nd generation processors

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Then you haven't searched thoroughly. :-P

That board supports a Matisse processor with the proper BIOS update.

https://imgur.com/QPkdpxu / Bios ver. E7A34AMS.1OM

So make the update and the processor will be recognized. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I just look on the motherboard' manufacturer' website and that's what was listed... but hey if you found something different and it's accurate great!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, i guess the B350 Tomahawk is your board.

If that's the case, then yes with an proper BIOS update you can get it to work. (as shown in my previous post)

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

The CPU is probably not bad the motherboard BIOS version does not support the new processor.

New thermal paste for overheating.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube