add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Aless__23
  • 1 month ago

Hi

Im having trouble with the sound on a new build, it doesn't work haha

When I connect a speaker to the audio out port there's nothing, and this speaker + cable does work with my phone.

I've updated the motherboard drivers, audio drivers and checked all the settings.

When I connect headphones it does work however.

My motherboard is the ASRock B450 Steel Legend.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Right-click on the speaker and go to settings/mixer and make sure the device/speakers you have plugged in are not muted, also what type of plug is on the speakers 3 or 4 contacts?

If the plug looks like this it's a 4-pole connector and I'm pretty sure all motherboards only accept 3-pole... you may need an adapter.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, so I got it to work through trial and error, eventually using the windows troubleshoot option it found my speaker, very pleased.

On a basic level, is an external speaker the only way to play sound from the PC? Or can the motherboard play sound on its own?

Thanks

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Once upon a time a motherboard had a little piezo speaker that could beep post codes, but if you want any kind of meaningful sound you need to plug in speakers or headphones.

Some game developers at the time this sort of speaker was used would creatively code their games to use this speakers to play music or special effects using the various beep tones, et cetera... but not actual true sound you get from a set of headphones/speakers that are running through a sound system/card of some description that is usually built-in to most motherboards these days.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube