add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Compatibility Issue - mATX motherboard and ATX case - vertical space between I/O shield and PCIE

Tifforo
  • 1 month ago

I have an mATX motherboard and an ATX case. The motherboard has a PCIEx16 slot located higher up, and a PCIEx4 slot farther down far from the CPU. The instructions for the motherboard say that if I'm only installing one graphics card (which I am), I should put it in the PCIEx16 slot for better performance. However, the vertical space between the I/O area on the motherboard and the PCIEx16 slot seems smaller than the vertical space between the slot for the I/O shield on the case and the PCI slot covers. Furthermore, the positioning of the holes for motherboard standoffs in the case seems to be such that there is only one height at which an mATX motherboard with 8 standoff holes where the two holes on the bottom aren't quite the same height as each other can be positioned, so I don't think I can move the motherboard down (plus then it wouldn't line up with the I/O opening on the case). I can't think of anything other than A) Plugging the GPU into the PCIEx4 slot, B) Trying to remove the entire PCI cover area on the case and hope that there's a removable section on the top of it that just barely lines up with the PCIE16, C) Drilling new holes for mobo standoffs (I'm a first-time builder BTW) and having the motherboard farther down and not aligned with the case's IO, or D) Getting a new case and hoping I don't have the same problem.

All of those options seem pretty bad.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $119.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler $20.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $88.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $54.99
Storage Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.99
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card $112.15
Case Antec GX202 ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $34.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Thermaltake Riing 12 LED Blue 40.6 CFM 120 mm Fan $9.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $617.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-01 12:01 EST-0500

I can produce photos if necessary.

I also had an issue with the motherboard being hard to move far enough left (toward the back of the case) to line up with the standoffs if the I/O shield was in the way. I also had an issue with the CPU cooler being almost impossible to remove once latched in.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have noticed that on some Antec cases, the top PCI cover looks different from the others. Maybe this is what is throwing me off?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It was this. I got this particular issue that was the main focus of this thread resolved myself. I do now have a different issue that I removed one more PCI cover than necessary and don't know how to get it back on.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube