add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£260 for an i7-8700K & GTX 1080 8GB - good deal?

Mike_Rigby
  • 2 months ago

Hello all,

I am currently using the system I built in 2015 (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/8xr6Mp) and have suddenly got the urge to upgrade my current system/build a new system.

My friend is in the process of building a new system and, as the title states, has offered me his used i7-8700K and GTX 1080 for the combined price of £260.

I am asking whether you think it is wise to go ahead and purchase them from him? I am aware that the CPU is now nearly 2.5 years old and the GPU is over 3.5 years old, but I still think that for that price, these parts are worth the money, providing they work as expected?

I am aware that I will need to purchase a new MOBO to support the CPU.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated :)

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, that's a pretty fair price. You would get a nice if not spectacular boost, and then you could run it until AMD/Intel come out with next gen parts. Do keep in mind that you'll probably need a CPU cooler as well; the Cryorig H7 would work nicely if you aren't going to push a big overclock. All up, you'll probably have to put about £400 into it including the £260 for the CPU/GPU.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your response.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the cooler. I was thinking of a Dark Rock 4, do you think this would be sufficient for a little bit of overclocking, nothing too big?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The H7 will handle some moderate overclocking. A DR4 will handle almost anything you can do with the 8700K. An in-between option might be a Cryorig H5 Universal.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Thats an amazing deal.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube