add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bought a Asus Hero VI should I send it back?

Alexvs
  • 73 months ago

Hi, as the title suggests this week I bought an Asus Maximus Hero VI and now today just saw that they're releasing the VII within a week and apparently will be the same price point, however I paid slightly less on sale. So question is do I send it back and wait for the new one? Price wise it'll be a difference of about £30 to me to get the new one (if suggested price is correct) as got the Hero VI for £132.98 (inc delivery) from Yoyotech who have dropped the Z87 boards by £20 at the moment (£128.99). I'll probably make no use of the extra features but maybe best just to futureproof now right? I'm not building my PC yet as just in the process of getting the parts and money together. Oh and I've also bought an i5 4670k CPU so not going to be buying the latest Intel chip so would I just be better off sticking with what I've got and putting the money elsewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

just keep the board it will not be a big difference just sata express. there are no drives at the moment that uses sata express anyway. The only reason to switch is if you think that the look of the Z97 hero looks better than the Z87.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you should just stick to what you've got. The difference isn't that big at all, besides, there are other components you can spend your money on :)

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

You guys are forgetting he can upgrade to Broadwell later this year. But then again, Im pretty sure there wont me much gain from a 4670k haswell to a Broadwell CPU...maybe a 5-10 percent increase in performance. Honestly, its up to you, Honestly, im waiting for the z97, since i have everything else ready, just need the mobo, ram and cpu. Of course, ill be getting the mobo and a cheap haswell CPU like a core i3 and just hold out for a broadwell later this year. Im guessing this will be the last chipset to support DDR3 since they are going to start using DDR4, I may be wrong unless they bring out a z107 or something that still supports DDR3, which rumours has it, Skylake will have mobos with DDR3 support and some with DDR4 support. Like I said rumors. But you already have the CPU and Mobo and like others have said, sata express is the only new thing on the z97 and new colors and support for broadwell

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Rumors about ddr4 have been all over for like 6 years... Don't plan around it... Wait till a major company announces their release is due within the season and Intel officially declares they support it on the newest boards, then you can plan for it.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh i know about that good sir and im not planning on jumping into using ddr4. God knows how expensive ddr4 is going to be. Will stick with ddr3 at 2133 for now :) and z97 and broadwell

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still curious when a new gddr will come... We have been on 5 for years now...

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

If you bought it from Newegg, forget about returning it as they have a no-return policy on motherboards. In any case I'd just keep it as others have said.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Find the specs on it, compare them to what you bought, then decide. If it offers major updates you would use, go for it. If the difference is negligible, don't bother

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks all for the help :-)

I'm going to hold on to it then as have no plans to spend out on the latest Broadwell CPU as read good enough reviews on this one which is thoroughly tried and tested to satisfy my needs and like you say there aren't any drives making use of the new sata express. Thanks again, the money will go elsewhere :-)

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

G! P! U! G! P! U! G! P! U!

lol... I'm guessing that's a large portion of what you meant by "elsewhere" :P

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha thanks, yeah I've decided to go for an R9 280x or GTX770 over a 760 that I was going to get with a little more investment. Currently leaning towards the 770 as within £10 or so of the 280x.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube