add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

please explain this to me???

Markos4

81 months ago

so i got a mini ATX tower case and a micro ITX mobo ( i bought a desktop pc that came with that) BUT you see the thing is that the mobo doesnt have any pci slots and only have two slots for RAm and i want at least 4 slots for ram and two pci slots so i want to upgrade to a bigger mobo but the problem here is that it looks like the sound card ports (earphone jack port,etc.) and the usb 2.0 ports( i got 5 of them on the rear side of the pc)and the ethernet port wont fit if i buy a different mobo because ive seen most mobos have like 5 earphone ports and thats already a problem because it wont have enough space for the other ports.. so my questions are do all the mobos are universal fit? do i have to take off the not so lil piece of metal where the ports fit? am i stuck with this cheap motherboard? by the way the desktop that i bought is a hp p1317cb i think thats the name of it and IT SUCKS in terms of upgradability.. PLEASE HELP me i need to know that before i buy a mobo that wont fit my case.. :(

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

Also, the little piece of metal on the back of the case for the ports is called the I/O Shield (input output), and every motherboard has a different one unique to it's port design. Every motherboard should come with one.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

ohh, thanks i didnt know that, but even if it comes with one i dont even know how to take off the one that i got right now, it doesnt seem like it can be take off using a screwdriver, so im starting to think about using a hammer...lol,but thanks that will help me..

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

I've actually never had to take one off, but my best guess would be take a screw driver and pry the edges off, or try using pliers maybe.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

absolutely not! mobos vary in many different categories hence the "atx" and "itx"...you need to buy an atx mobo to fit your atx case. and the problem with the pci slots just vary in the mobo you buy. and the RAM problem isnt something that can be fixed unless you find the right mobo. since its many they only give you 2 slots to conserve space. if you want 8b do 2x4gb stick...or 2x8gb sticks.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

thnks for the answer, i think ill just buy a case with a mobo and a new CPU and ill transfer all the other stuff i got from my pc to the new case ill get..thanks :)

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Np just make sure you do your research because that mobo stuff gets tricky i tend to stay with atx because its more popular

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, ill follow your advice and btw u seem to know alot about computers, im trying to study for the a+ exam but as you see i dont have alot of knowledge about some stuff like that but i read lots of books about pcs and now im looking to build my own cheap pc,i just want to do it to get more knowledge about how they work,imma take the exam next month :) i still in high school though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube