add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on a CPU cooler

drew8716nc
  • 9 days ago

Need help with a CPU cooler, one I chose might be a bit too bulky and I'm afraid it will restrict airflow. I'm planning to move the front fan that comes with the case to the bottom and get 4 140mm fans with two on the front and two on the top. Can anyone recommend me a smaller CPU cooler that wouldn't restrict the airflow as much but still do an excellent job?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kpVNx6

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 2 points

The Dark Rock's own fans should keep air moving past the VRM's behind the cooler. I think it's fine, don't worry about it.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Take a look at my build for reference: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/MnLJ7P

I use the older version the Dark Rock Pro 3 and in a matx case fractal design case which is smaller than your case. As for airflow mine has tons and the middle fan actually hangs lower than the fins on the tower cooler so it promotes good airflow over the VRMs on my motherboard. I cannot get my CPU to hit 60c under full load and I got an 1800x @ 1.381v 4.0 GHz.

As for fan layout in my case I chose to do 2x 120mm front intake, 1x 120mm bottom intake, 1x 140mm top exhaust, 1x 120mm back exhaust so I basically have 3 fans in 2 fans out. It is an older Fractal Design case so it did not have a PSU shroud but I like my case. The cooler looks like it takes up almost all the space above the GPU but don't let that fool you, air still moves through it fine.

Now if you want you can drop down to the Dark Rock 4 instead which will be a single tower cooler instead of a dual tower and it will still have enough power to cool a 2700x easily. I do like the pro version though because of what the low hanging middle fan does for the VRMs which is more of an issue on matx boards where you have a harder time finding good VRMs.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man, I’m probably going to go for two 140mm front, two 140mm top, and 120mm on rear and bottom. I really need the extra cooling since my room is poorly ventilated and it gets hot easily. For the cpu cooler I might maybe go a bit smaller since I’m trying to lower my budget a bit.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube