add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a new SSD

Croustibat
  • 3 months ago

Hello, I've been running Windows 7 (got the license from MSDN back when I was a student) since 2014 on a computer and I didn't want to go to Windows 10 at the time of the free upgrade.

I recently saw that the upgrade is still doable.

I'm about to upgrade my PC hardware with a new motherboard / CPU / NVME SSD drive which would have no Windows installation.

If I understood correctly what I've read on the subject, I would have to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my current SSD so the digital license gets upgraded to Windows 10 as well then install Windows 10 on the new SSD.

Of course, I would not use Windows 7 on my current SSD anymore, I would wipe it and use it for storage.

Is that all correct ?

Thanks !

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I would do.....

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I'll do it on friday or saturday, will see how it goes !

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It all worked nicely, thank you !

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube