add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus Maximus V Extreme or ASRock Z79 Extreme11?

UsernameGoesHere
  • 86 months ago

As far as I know, these are both the top of the line motherboards for Intel from their respective companies. Which is better for gaming? I plan to overclock but not to the up-most extreme levels (maybe about as far as you can go with an air cooled setup). I do hope to play games on max settings.

I know the ASRock is pretty much only compatible with Intel's latest, most powerful chip: the i7 Extreme and that it has up to 64GB of RAM and the ASUS is compatible with LGA1155 but does the processor really make that much of a difference? Isn't the graphics card more important? I've heard that there isn't much of a difference between the i5 and the i7 when it comes to gaming but what about the i7 extreme? And would 64GB just be overkill? I know 32GB would be enough for gaming, heck, you can get by with just eight. I don't think I'll be doing much multitasking other than maybe recording a screencast at the same time I'm playing.

Would the OC Key the Asus motherboard comes with really be that big of a deal?

I do find the Thunderbolt port on the Asus motherboard useful because I plan to use an iMac as a monitor and Thunderbolt is twice as fast as USB 3.0 (Intel's going to make it even faster soon so I might hold out just for that). But I can always just get a true gaming monitor if the ASRock is advantageous enough.

To me, it seems like the ASRock just has a bunch of extra fluff that I don't really need like double the RAM slots and and extra three PCIe slots (seriously, what would I use those for? Not like I can do 7-way SLI and I won't really need any expansions except maybe bluetooth and wifi since it doesn't seem to have that). While, the Asus has actual useful stuff like bluetooth, wifi, innovative heat spreaders with water cooling support, and thunderbolt.

Or should I just drop everything and go with an AMD FX processor? XP

Thanks for reading, I know it's a long post. I was sort of just rambling at the end and dumping everything I had to say, sorry.

Comments

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

The Asus motherboard, it's said to be more stable.

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest the flagship AsRock board doesn't really add many useful things over the other boards lower down in the series. I think in this case you'd be better off going with Asus.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube