add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
rola86
  • 73 months ago

Hello,

I have a copy of Windows 7 (32bit) on CD that has been installed on our family PC for a few years. I was wondering if I could 'upgrade' to a 64bit version with the same product key but in a new build (family PC)?

I have double checked and the Cd only has 32bit version on it and is not OEM (it's a copy from a school - mum is a teacher and was entitled to it at the time)! Is there a way I can legally download a 64bit version and just use the same key on a new build? (Please note the school are no longer offering Windows software as they all have been given iPads....)!

I have found it difficult to get any reliable info online, I presume because of the fact I doesnt fall into either the 'retail' or 'OEM' category! Any ideas??

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

if they key is set to be authenticated for a 64bit version (if MS dose that w/ their keys) then yes you should be able to.

Here's a link you can get the 64bit install.. this is right from MS Community Page and from one of their Moderators. Ya will need to scroll down a bit to see the links.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

It's really just a question of what the key the school bought is good for... It's possible it may work on 64bit...not a high chance, but worth a try

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube