add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about PCI-Express 16

vpoorman
  • 86 months ago

I was discussing about my build with a friend of mine a while ago, and he pointed out a problem in my build that was as such

(direct quote from our conversation)

"going through the specs of your graphics card an issue popped up. your board supports Pci express and Pci Express x16 both v2.0 Your Graphics Card is designed to perform at its best in a v3 Pci-Express x16 slot"

How much difference does that make ?

Can anyone suggest me a good motherboard for this build ~

Need a mobo

One that supports the processor as well as supporting PCI-Express x16 v3 Please, and thank you :)

P.S. Please make sure the cost stays inside 450$.

Comments

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like your video card won't perform that much differently on PCIe 3.0 than 2.0, and because your processor doesn't support it natively, the motherboard would have to have it built in, making it pretty expensive. (and not worth it). Basically, pcie 2.0 won't matter enough for your card to warrant the extra cost. On top of that, I'm not even sure if there are pcie 3.0 mobos with that socket.

To clarify: Your card isn't able to fully utilize the bandwidth 2.0 offers, let alone 3.0. getting a mobo with a 3.0 controller built in would be expensive and ultimately pointless. Hope this helps :D

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

"and because your processor doesn't support it natively" What does this mean ?

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

Well most processors don't support PCIe 3.0, only Ivy Bridge natively supports it (meaning that it is built into the chipset). DOes that make sense?

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RQTT

Is this build good ?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube