add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a good power supply

englishmuffin123
  • 84 months ago

Hi, I've got this fairly good build but I'm not sure what power supply to get. The one I have listed is extreme overkill so I need to change it. Unfortunately, I'm new to this so I don't know how to check if it has all of the cables and connectors I'll need. For instance, I was reading up on a 450watt supply and found that it didn't have enough PCIe for high end graphics cards. I'm not sure if this is true, but I'd like some help just to make sure.

Heres my build:

pcpartpicker

Also, I've realized that this PSU only has 2 PCIe connectors. Will this be enough? And is it possible to buy more in the future since it's a modular PSU? Finally, are there any other connectors that this PSU has too few of?

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually think that PSU should be fine. Keep in mind that you always want to add 100 wts or so, just to be safe, also incase your going to overclock, or if you plan on upgrading.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think that I'll need more connectors? I noticed that it only has two PCIe connectors... Is that enough to be future proof? and is it possible to add more since it's a modular PSU?

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Your psu isn't that overkill. Use this tool: http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en It's much more reliable than pcpartpickers.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Hiya-I have only one reccomendation for a psu the Aerocool zerodba,,home page here:http://www.aerocool.us/powersupply.htm Anyways the reason I recommend this is bcause I bought one O theses gems (700 watt zero dba) back in 2006 and its still running in 2014:D Whats that,like 8 years and still running my Athlon xp-1800 it was uber silent when i first got it and is still damn quiet. I been looking for this psu for a new micro atx build I'm doing thru partpicker but unfortunately they don't include this psu in their list :\ I'm hoping a mod will see this and correct that oversight:)but in the meantime I will b ordering one soon.. oh btw, I cant recommend any of Aerocools other gear simply bcause I havent got any of there other products but the psu i got is amazing..8 years?!

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Ummm.... it's 2013....

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm...seema I cant find one :/ out of stock or discontinued evrywhere I look so far...may b forced to find another brand (hopefully) as good:(

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah my bad..2013, so only 7 years. and I searched till the wee hours for their psus and from what i found they only have one type made:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1917602&CatId=1483 A 600 watt and a 800 watt but they are not modular and I need a modular one..so im back to looking for another brand I guess.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it really isn't pricy for my since I live in Oregon. Because of this, there's no sales tax so I'll get a $60 PSU from MicroCenter

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube