add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What determines amount of supported fans?

Claggett

67 months ago

Newbie question...

I've got a build in the works with: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P motherboard - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p Fractal R4 Case - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4blw

The case comes with two fans (one up front, one in back) but has many more (+6 I think) optional fan spots. Case has a built-in speed controller, too.

What limits me on how many fans I can add? Do they all have to plug into the mobo?

I'm thinking I want to add two to the top of the case and one more in the front, but I'm not sure exactly how to optimize that with the case design. Tips and links appreciated.

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Theoretically, you can run as many fans as you want off splitters, assuming your PSU has enough wattage. If you want control over all of them, you'd still be able to run a ton off splitters, but the most I've seen is an 8 way PWM splitter. That still gives you 8 fans per header though, which should be more than enough.

[comment deleted]
  • 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks to you both...exactly what I needed to know and thanks for the part name. Found it.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube