add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Windows onto different HDD in same device.

F3atherz
  • 1 month ago

Hi this is probably a dumb question but I failed to find a clear answer..

I was wondering what's the best to install windows on a different drive. It came installed on a hdd on my laptop and I would like to install it on an ssd. (ATM it's a fresh install of windows).

Is it possible to just remove it from the current drive and reinstall it on the new one with the product key? Will I need to find the product key or will windows automatically recognize the device?

Thanks.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If all you are doing is changing one HDD for another and everything is running fine,
You can use a cloning software of your preference.

Is it possible to just remove it from the current drive and reinstall it on the new one with the product key?

Yes.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

if you link your microsoft account with the product key all you need to do is sign in after you install on the new ssd. If you don't do that then you will need to enter your product key to activate the new installation.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok sick ill try that

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube