add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First timer, need help with understanding airflow.

xZebu

69 months ago

This is my first time building a PC and I have picked the i5 4670k with H80i CPU cooler. I am going to be running this in the NZXT H440 case. I have been trying to look up videos and such about airflow on H440 cases but I can hardly find any good ones. If anyone here has used H440 and used liquid cooling, can you suggest me a way to setup airflow with H80i. If you have pictures of your build, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're using an h80i, the best spots to place the radiator would be either the rear exhaust spot (ideal) or one of the top slots. When it comes to airflow think of it as a drawing of arrows:

Your fans in the front of the case are always intake, pushing cold air to the back of the case over the drives to keep components cool.

Your top fans generally are exhausts , pulling out hot air that has risen from the motherboard (and more importantly) the cpu and gpu.

The rear fan is almost always an exhaust, mainly for when you have an air cooler on your cpu to pull the hot air generated by it out.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, this clarifies a lot of things. So, this is how I will most likely design my airflow. 3 120mm fans in the front pulling air in. Will have the PSU pull air in from the bottom also. Will do radiator << Fan setup on the rear pushing air out. Also, I'll add two 120mm fans right on top of CPU pushing air out.

Is that a good setup? I'm getting the hang of this, I can always try different variants.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're on the right track.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, with the H80i, Corsair recommends using it as an intake, so that it draws in cool air, which will help your temps a bit. Most people use it as an exhaust though, since it's mounted in a rear fan slot. As for airflow, just follow the norm and have your front fans intaking, and your top and rear fans exhausting

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube