add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM

GotCubes
  • 73 months ago

Hey there, everyone!

I was doing some basic research over what OS I should choose for my build. I've decided that Windows 8 or 8.1 would be the best option for me, and I would definitely prefer to obtain it through legal means.

That being said, I encountered a couple of options when it comes to Windows 8.1. A specific option looked the exact same as the other, except for the fact that one said OEM on it.

Being a novice when it comes to operating systems, and system building in general, I was wondering what the significant difference was, if there is any.

Windows 8.1 OEM

Windows 8.1

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

kind of the non oem version will have both a 32bit cd and 64bit cd in the packaging along with some other tiny details. oems tend to be a few bucks cheaper and their really is no need for 32 anymore in my eyes so save your money and get oem. also get the 8.1 that way you dont have to download the update every time you reinstall

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, definitely getting the 8.1 version.

I've heard of some issues regarding upgrading from 8 to 8.1. Apparently on Nvidia cards, it causes some interesting graphical errors when you upgrade. But for some reason, when you download 8.1 directly, it doesn't happen.

Thank you very much for your help. So just to clarify, non-OEM versions just include 32 and 64 bit versions rather than just one?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

yes but people should really be using the 64bit version anyways. and yes i have had some issues with updates it just causes you to installe the drivers, not really a big issue just time consuming

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube