add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Linux distro is better?

dragonism
  • 1 month ago

I am deciding to use Linux but have no clue which distro I should use. I am going to be playing light games on the computer as well as using Discord. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

For page hit ranking to get some idea on popularity: DistroWatch

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

"Better" is very hard to rate because it depends how you measure. All Linux distros are pretty much the same at the core (kernel, shell, command line) so it's mostly a question of the installer and the user desktop. Ubuntu is one of the simplest distros to install. Mint has a good balance of easy install and clean/simple desktop. I personally am used to the KDE desktop so I use OpenSuse. Fedora is probably more common in corporate or IT-related areas since it's based off Red Hat which is a common enterprise server distro. Debian used to be the hard-core distro although I haven't used it for ages now.

Ubuntu or Mint would probably be good choices if you're new to Linux.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

That depends on what you want. The great thing about Linux is that you can try them all!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So far I personally like Mint best of the ones I've tried. The nice thing about Linux is it customizability, so if there is something another distro has that you like you can probably bring it over to the distro you are trying. Chris Titus tech does a lot of videos about this. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6gPGh8HU2U01vaFCAsvmQ

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

There's not really a "better" Linux distro, there is good ones, and then there's bad ones. Pretty much all of them run the same as the other, the only difference is the UI's they come with by default and package managers they each use.

Most popular distros use GNOME by default, others may use KDE and others may be using XFCE. It all entirely depends what you want to go with, and you can change them for any other that you want at any time. KDE is fairly light on resources. XFCE is considered much lighter, but may be lacking in certain features that others have.

Ubuntu is OK, but has questionable privacy issues.

Pop! OS simple clean distro with a sort of Mac OS feel vibe to it.

Manjaro which seems like a popular favorite.

Arch if you want to be super nerdy and learn to build on and have bare minimums and choose all your packages and such by hand.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure I would even say "bad ones". There are distros that try to be easy for the general public, and distros that cater to the nerd side. Ubuntu and Debian respectively, traditionally

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would steer you away from Fedora on the basis that it's got the least hospitable IRC community - in my limited experience. My - again, subjective - categorizing of linux'es is: slackware=geekiest, debian=most compliant, fedora=most traditional, openSUSE=german-reliable. there was a nice one called mandriva that I had cut my teeth on, but that one has changed hands from what I heard. could be anything now. Ubuntu, Mint these are like boutique linuxes (they make much of themselves, but owe a ton to debian actually) =-P The linuxes you hear less about are less used because they're geared to some specific set of user.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube