add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What motherboard should I get?

KloudAlpha
  • 73 months ago

I know most things about cpus and graphics cards, I'm just not good with motherboards, I'm making a budget build, I just don't know what motherboard I should get. for the CPU I'm getting the Intel Pentium G860, I know it sounds bad because it's Pentium but it's clocked at 3.0 Ghz which should be good for decent gaming.. right? Also I want to overclock the cpu and eventually upgrade, and if it matters the case uses USB 2.0. Here is what I have for my build so far http://pcpartpicker.com/user/KloudAlpha/saved/4E1x

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering that you are using an old, low-end CPU, any LGA1155 board will be fine. If I were you, considering your purposes, get an LGA1150 board and a Core i3. If you want to over clock, get a Z87 chipset. Otherwise, the Gigabyte H81- Amp Up is fine. See the $700 budget build for this month: http://pcpartpicker.com/blog/41/bitfenix-comrade-700-gaming-build

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

is z87 the only overclockable Chipset? I'd really like a red mobo, just because I like to make the parts match, I was thinking of getting the MSI Z77A-G43, Does the socket type really matter? Isn't there a LGA1155 version of the i7 4770k?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no LGA1155 version of the 4770k. Haswell only comes in LGA 1150. Z87 is not the only overclocking intended chipset, but the best for Haswell CPUs. For ivy bridge CPUs get z77.

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with that but I don't like the way AMD has their sockets, if I wanted to upgrade my cpu I'd have to upgrade to a AM3+ mobo, and Intel cores are just higher quality overall.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube