add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To z97 or not?

GR3YHAM
  • 73 months ago

Having trouble choosing mother boards to go with this build -> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GR3YHAM/saved/4FDA I basically picked that mobo because it went with the black and white theme, it has a 5 year warranty and is relatively cheap. I'm looking for any opinions on mother boards I've heard asus is a good brand so I've been leaning towards them, a easy to use bios would be nice and something that would be a bit future proof. Also any info on what features are most desirable in a gaming pc's mobo would be nice. I'm new to this and trying to make a informed decision before making any major purchases so all opinion's are valuable.

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

z97 is for people who either can use the feature or are buying a new system and want to be covered in the future. this info alone is what you should consider for your build

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Opinions on build are welcome too.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no need for a Z97 chipset if you're going with Haswell chips. If you want to wait for Devil's Canyon, which is supposed to be released on June 2nd, then I'd recommend the Z97 chipset. (In fact, you need Z97.) For a 4670k, I'd get a Z87 mobo that's over ~$120, and you'll be fine

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

your forgeting the need/want of m.2 and sata express or how about the new features of the mobo software

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

For most people, the normal sata interface on Z87 will be more than enough ports for sata devices. Same with m.2. In a SFF build, I can see m.2 coming in handy, but for a full ATX build, I really don't see the need for a m.2 drive. You're right though, I didn't take those into account

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

you do realize that m.2 is faster than sata??? if i was buying a new computer i would get m.2 before thinking about a sata drive. not to mention updates to bios. im thinking about buying a z97 to upgrade from z87 mostly because of the perfection of level of control the new asus boards offer. they can give me better fan management and other features that make it worth it for me even with having z87. and to think it will accenp devils canyon and broadwell just makes it a sound investment if you know you will upgrade withing in 3 years or are building a new computer considering the cost between comparable models is only $15 at an average

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but how often are you going to utilize the blazing fast speeds of m.2? Considering that PCIe is also faster than SATA, and there are drives out for that, but barely anybody buys them, I'd say that sata is really fine for the average Joe. Z97 is a great investment if you're building a new system now, but if you have a Haswell chip on a Z87 mobo, I really don't see the point in upgrading.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

the m.2 on z97 is pcie based and gets speeds comparable to speed of pcie ssds and those have only just started to come out and i would think quite often. its easier to install a m.2 and forget it then look for sata ssd. and again upgrading for features as long as your going to use them makes it worth it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know much about motherboards, but my husband told me this was a pretty good site about motherboards http://www.squidoo.com/best-z97-pc-gaming-motherboards-for-the-money-2014-72344 . hope it helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube