add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Decent case to fit Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard?

Charlie2014
  • 73 months ago

So im just about to order all of the components so i can build my first system from scratch. I am going with the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard as my mobo seeing as it is perfect for my the RAM and processor I have selected. Can anyone suggest a good ATX gaming case which decent cooling but not for a ridicules price? i was going to go for the Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced PC Case micro-ATX but there is a compatability issue: "Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

Can anyone give me some ideas on an atx gaming cause with good cooling, looking to spend around £50-70 (80 at a push)?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

That compatibility issue isn't really an issue, unless you want or need USB 3.0 front ports. It's just saying that you have a header available on the mobo, but your case doesn't have the ports. If you like that case, go for it.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want something with side fan mounts to provide airflow over the various parts (GPU/NB/VRM/RAM) then even a ~£40 Corsair 200R or Zalman Z9-Plus will fit the bill.

What's the rest of you build like?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

case - sharkoon atx midi tower Graphics card - Sapphire R9 270x processor - AMD FX8350 MoBo Asus M5A99FX RAM - G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 (will get more afte rpc is built) 2TB Hard Drive

i can see the Corsair has good reviews do you think it would be better then the sharkoon case?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

without a doubt. Sharkoon are somewhat an off-brand and seem to be very budget orientated but due to there lack of popularity I'm unsure on their quality. check to see how the cable management space is or how the fans are.

I took a look at your saved build and I have to ask what are you plans. You've opted for the 4gb version of the 270x but only have 500W psu so Xfire is not a possibility. And with a the 8350+motherboard I can only assume you want to overclock but the cooler seems to be purely for having something quieter than the stock fan. Overclocking will want something with a bit more grunt.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

how big of a power supply would you say i need then? this is my first build so im still working out what components i need. I was actually going to go with the stock cooler that comes with the 8350 but it is not on the list of components because im not going to overclock right away, but i want to option there, if i do decide i want to over clock then ill upgrade my cooler accordingly.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

for 270X crossfire a good 650W would be minimum but an fx-8350 (+OC) will be chewing away the headroom. And if you do get a 650W psu it will still be better to stick with a single high end GPU. I feel reserved in recommending an AM3+ build as it's looking like a dead socket. AMD has only forecast future APUs for the FM2+ socket. If gaming is going to be the highest load this build will see, then you'll be better off with an i5, even a locked one, which is faster in games than even an OC'd FX-8 core. What's your desired budget?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

my budget is 800-830, i have changed the processor round because you have said the same ting as one of my freinds and im goig to take your advise. i have updated my build ("Latest Build") if you would care to take a look?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah yeah that makes sense, cheers for the help guys. So i take it that means i can still use the usb sockets on the top of the case with that mother board?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use the USB ports since they're USB 2.0, but you'll still need to plug it into a header on your mobo. Make sure you reply to people so they get notified too :)

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

ah yeah didnt see the reply button, first time using this site ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube