add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Avoiding issues with applying thermal paste.

Avender

69 months ago

So my first foray into applying thermal paste the other night on my new h55 went a bit iffy. I purposefully applied a half pea on the cooler surface after cleaning off the stock and prepping with the artic cleaning kit. I found it quite difficult to align the cooler fasteners without the block sliding around just a bit. So i intentionally secured it down to find out just how the paste spreads and then removed the cooler quickly (it had already started to set like glue). The swirling had caused a very small amount to wind up on two edges. What a pain in the butt to clean but i got the chance to see how it looks. Cleaned everything off and added a smaller amount and again mounted with a bit less swirling. I think it went alot better but i wonder... Not done building it yet so i think after i first boot, os install, and the little things it will be warm enough to easily remove the cooler one more time to check the pattern of the paste and reapply adjusting for any issues with amount.

Should i do it again because it does take awhile to clean everything off and it's difficult with the graphics card installed to get to everything...

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Applying thermal paste really doesn't need this much hassle. The stock one would've been fine, but since you got rid of it anyways, as long as you didn't apply too much, and it's making good contact, you'll be fine.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll just make sure to watch my temps.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea. Make sure you reply to people's comments so they get notified

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube