add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Arch Linux with gaming VM on Laptop

SeeNi
  • 21 days ago

So I'm new to the whole linux in general but I wanted to see if it would be possible to install Arch Linux on my laptop and install a Windows 10 gaming VM on that Linux. I have Asus VivoBook M570DD with Ryzen 7 3700U, 8gb of ram and GTX 1050. I saw a youtuber do it but in order to create powerful gaming vm u need to have 2 graphics cards or integraded gpu on your cpu. So for Arch Linux I would like to use my Vega 10 and for gaming VM i would like to use GTX 1050 via the process he called hijacking. I would like to know if this is possible on my setup and should i get another 8 gb of ram?

Comments

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

You can certainly run a Windows VM; I've never tried to do it for gaming. Yes, I would advise another 8 GB memory; it's probably not essential but it will help avoid paging or swapping.

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

but can i run it the way i said up there with using dedicated gpu for vm and my igpu for arch linux

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what virtual machine manager you're using. I don't think VirtualBox has a GPU passthrough, although it does have some sort of Windows guest 2d/3d acceleration. I've no idea what you can do with VMware. KVM/qemu can do it, I think, but I've never tried it.

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

I'm new to the whole linux in general

Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions#I_am_a_complete_GNU/Linux_beginner._Should_I_use_Arch? before starting; make sure you know what you're signing up for.

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

Have you considered just dual booting instead?

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

I don't see this flying too well. Not saying it isn't possible but it sounds needlessly complex.

You would be better off having a dedicated windows 10 desktop gaming machine and remote into it with something like Parsec.

You can install Parsec in Arch thru the AUR

Many do this with their Windows 10 vm's on a Unraid machine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube