add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building a new PC, need help transferring Windows 10

Xenguy
  • 20 days ago

So in 2016, I bought a cheap prebuilt with Windows 7, earlier this year, after support for it was ended, I upgraded it to Windows 10. Now I'm building a whole new PC as my first build. I want to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to my new system, as I'm not taking any of the HDDs in the old system (They suck).

The Windows 10 license being used in this system is linked to my Microsoft account. I was wondering if it's still possible to activate windows 10 on the new system by logging during in even if the copy is still activated on my old pc since I'm not gutting/getting rid of my old system? I also have the product key for it that I got when I upgraded, would it be preferable to use that? I'm not sure, as this is my first time dealing with operating systems from the perspective of a pc enthusiast!

Comments

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

If it's linked to your MS account, you should be able to sign in when you reinstall it on the new PC.

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

I was wondering if it's still possible to activate windows 10 on the new system by logging during in even if the copy is still activated on my old pc since I'm not gutting/getting rid of my old system?

No.
One license = One system.

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha! Would I need to move the hardrive over from my old system then?

[comment deleted]
  • 9 days ago
  • 1 point

You should check to see if you have the Retail or the OEM version of Windows on your old PC. The OEM version is NOT transferable. It is tied to your existing PC's motherboard. The Retail is transferable.

Since you have a prebuilt PC...most likely it is an OEM Windows version.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube